Smart D-Ptr in KCoreAddons

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Tue Aug 27 07:08:24 UTC 2013

> Well, if it's so useful, why would it be an over-stretch to have it in Qt?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see d-ptr idiom as something ubiquitous in
C++/Qt world, as it is in KDE. How many people write libs and care about ABI,
if libstdc++ doesn't (for example, gcc 4.7 has a different abi for c++11-
compiled std::list code compared to c++98)?

Maybe Thiago could chime in on whether Qt is a place for something like this?

> And yeah if this class is incompatible with private class hierarchies, that
> fact should be documented in big fat letters in the documentation.

As I noted in my previous mail, it does support it now - it was one of the
frequent requests (requested 3 times :) ) - a simple constructor that can
receive a pointer to the private class as well as arguments for constructing
it.

I'll see whether it could be done in a more fancy way than that.

Cheerio,
Ivan

--
Money can't buy happiness, but neither can poverty.
  -- Leo Rosten