Revising changing configurations with KConfig

Frank Reininghaus frank78ac at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 1 06:09:14 UTC 2013

Hi,

2013/8/1 Kevin Ottens:
> On Thursday 01 August 2013 00:57:05 Aleix Pol wrote:
>> Well, that setting is used in KDirSortFilterProxyModel as well... Should we
>> just always sort naturally by default there then?
>
> Would make sense to add an accessor pair to KDirSortFilterProxyModel, and have
> the default to be true for that property. Then it's up to the client code to
> disable it if it wants to.
>
> Yes it makes some formerly automatic behavior manual, but at the same time
> both that property and KDirSortFilterProxyModel aren't used that much.

Well, KDirSortFilterProxyModel is being used indirectly by every
application which has a "File Open/Save" dialog, and by apps like Kate
which use a KDirOperator to display the contents of a directory
somewhere else.

I would not mind if every application had its own setting for "natural
sorting", but I'm not sure if the users who prefer "non-natural"
sorting (yes, they do exist) would like it if they have to change the
setting in every application. However, I admit that the current KDE 4
solution (change the setting in Dolphin, and then every application
will use it) is not perfect either.

Cheers,
Frank