please make it easier to hack on frameworks

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Apr 29 20:00:15 UTC 2013

On Monday, April 29, 2013 18:22:56 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> Well it's been necessary at some point because you needed to make fast paced
> changes.

i hear that frameworks is moving slowly. (because not enough people aren't working on it)

now i hear that "fast paced changes" are necessary. (because we desperately needed something
in a devel version of cmake, apparently.)

sorry, you can't have it both ways.

this is one of those times when by going slower (in this case: not requiring unreleased build
components) will make you go faster (by making it easier for more people to contribute)

> I didn't expect that habit to stick though.

apparently it has.

who is doing project coordination for frameworks 5?

> When is the next
> release of cmake planned? If we could stick to that one for a while that
> would be nice.

s,nice,a requirement to ensure frameworks doesn't become an endless project that fails to
complete in time,

i'm sorry to push so hard on this issue, but we are betting heavy on frameworks development
being something we can participate in usefully.

4.11 will be the last feature release of kde-workspace. we will be doing bug fix releases for
another 2 years after that, but all of our feature effort work will be going into Plasma Workspaces
2. we are already focusing a majority of our efforts there already (just look at the commit log for
the plasma-framework repo) and have reached the point we need to start moving code in kde-
workspace over to Qt5.

to reach our goals of an initial release in the first half of next year of Plasma Workspaces 2, we
need to be able to rely on frameworks being at a bare minimum buildable and preferably
hackable with as few annoyances as possible.

it would be tremendously great if we also had weekly or bi-weekly meetings hosted by whoever
is the maintainer/coordinator for frameworks to touch base and see what progress is. we've
been doing this for a few months now for PW2 and it has worked magic.

adding to and sorting out the entries on the kdelibs cleanups wiki page so that we can see what
items are low-hanging fruit would be a bonus as this would allow more people to contribute in
meaningful as well as trivial ways.

how much of the above is possible / realistic? basically, i'm looking for someone to coordination
responsibility for frameworks. it's not enough to just have hackers writing code. we need
someone directing traffic and ensuring bad habits like adopting devel versions of cmake cease.

thanks ..

--
Aaron J. Seigo