KF5 Volunteer day 1: Done

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Thu Feb 23 19:13:31 UTC 2012

On Thursday 23 February 2012 19:04:59 Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > The lack of build system grand masters was telling though. I think we
> > should really aim at having either Alex or Steve available the next time.
>
> I think some more notice would help there. I wasn't available on Saturday. I
> was surprised to see the day annoounced on a blog, but not on this list.

Yes. Well I expected the blog to touch widely and assumed people here also
read blogs... probably wrong assumption though. :-)

> > In grand total we had five persons asking for help. I admit being
> > surprised about the seniority of those people, most of them were not long
> > timers. That said they were all motivated so that's cool. :-)
>
> You expected more KDE veterans in general?

Yes. I kind of expected to see people working on kdelibs a while ago but now
less active to like the idea and come. So found it surprising to have mostly
newcomers, but as I said that's cool, I'm all for new blood anyway. :-)

> > So I'd say for later editions: except if that's already someone for which
> > we're sure the skill set is correct for a split propose a cleanup task
> > instead. After a couple of cleanups maybe they can pick up a splitting
> > task but that's probably too much to chew on a first try if you have no
> > experience whatsoever dealing with kdelibs. It's a bit filtering on
> > reputation which I don't like, but I'd rather do that than turning people
> > away in disgust. Any opinion there?
>
> Yes, makes sense. If you can get a list cleanup tasks of the right
> difficulty.

Well, the ones we have so far seem ok:
http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Epics/kdelibs_cleanups

Also we try to label them with a difficulty leve.

> > So we should definitely keep doing those, the real question is when?
> > Should it be weekly? bi-monthly? monthly?
> >
> > It seems to be "the more the better" but I doubt we can get enough people
> > to be available every week. I definitely can't be there for all of them,
> > that said not everyone needs to be there, two or three people to be
> > mentors are enough, so we can probably have some rotations. Opinions? I'd
> > definitely welcome any creative solution allowing to have these events
> > very regularly.
>
> How did the first one work? Was it in #kde-devel?

Yes, we just showed up there. On saturday the channel was mostly our anyway, I
don't think I've seen any talk about non-frameworky topics that day.

> If you have a list of people a newbie can ping for help and a list of tasks
> those people can understand and guide a newbie on, you could say that it's
> every weekend. Most people in #kde-devel would be able to help a newbie
> with, eg, 'should I replace this Q_WS_WIN with Q_OS_WIN?'.

That's a possibility. But having such a list doesn't ensure that at least one
person of that list is available every week-end. Also we should probably
detail the tasks a bit more I guess, I'm not sure I'd be able to easily answer
the example question you proposed. :-)

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net