KF5 Volunteer day 1: Done

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 18:04:59 UTC 2012

Kevin Ottens wrote:

> The lack of build system grand masters was telling though. I think we
> should really aim at having either Alex or Steve available the next time.

I think some more notice would help there. I wasn't available on Saturday. I
was surprised to see the day annoounced on a blog, but not on this list.

Thanks for organizing it none-the-less :).

> In grand total we had five persons asking for help. I admit being
> surprised about the seniority of those people, most of them were not long
> timers. That said they were all motivated so that's cool. :-)

You expected more KDE veterans in general?

> So I'd say for later editions: except if that's already someone for which
> we're sure the skill set is correct for a split propose a cleanup task
> instead. After a couple of cleanups maybe they can pick up a splitting
> task but that's probably too much to chew on a first try if you have no
> experience whatsoever dealing with kdelibs. It's a bit filtering on
> reputation which I don't like, but I'd rather do that than turning people
> away in disgust. Any opinion there?

Yes, makes sense. If you can get a list cleanup tasks of the right
difficulty.

> So we should definitely keep doing those, the real question is when?
> Should it be weekly? bi-monthly? monthly?
>
> It seems to be "the more the better" but I doubt we can get enough people
> to be available every week. I definitely can't be there for all of them,
> that said not everyone needs to be there, two or three people to be
> mentors are enough, so we can probably have some rotations. Opinions? I'd
> definitely welcome any creative solution allowing to have these events
> very regularly.

How did the first one work? Was it in #kde-devel?

If you have a list of people a newbie can ping for help and a list of tasks
those people can understand and guide a newbie on, you could say that it's
every weekend. Most people in #kde-devel would be able to help a newbie
with, eg, 'should I replace this Q_WS_WIN with Q_OS_WIN?'.

Thanks for the report,

Steve.