KF5 Volunteer day 1: Done

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 09:48:04 UTC 2012

Kevin Ottens wrote:
>> If you have a list of people a newbie can ping for help and a list of
>> tasks those people can understand and guide a newbie on, you could say
>> that it's every weekend. Most people in #kde-devel would be able to help
>> a newbie with, eg, 'should I replace this Q_WS_WIN with Q_OS_WIN?'.
>
> That's a possibility. But having such a list doesn't ensure that at least
> one person of that list is available every week-end.

Yes. What I think I mean is that there needs to be a migration path from 'I
should only do work on volunteer days because that's the only time I can get
help' to 'I can always ask for guidance in #kde-devel'. There are lots of
helpful people in #kde-devel. One issue I'd see though is that once they see
'frameworks', they'll say (or think) they can't help because they're not
involved in the frameworks effort, even if the core issue is something
simple they can answer.

> Also we should
> probably detail the tasks a bit more I guess, I'm not sure I'd be able to
> easily answer the example question you proposed. :-)

stephen at hal:~/dev/src/kf5/tier1/solid{frameworks}$ git grep Q_WS_WIN
solid/managerbase.cpp:#if !defined (Q_WS_WIN) && !defined (Q_OS_MAC)
solid/managerbase.cpp:#elif defined (Q_WS_WIN) && defined(HAVE_WBEM) &&
!defined(_WIN32_WCE)
solid/managerbase.cpp:#        elif defined(Q_WS_WIN) && defined(HAVE_WBEM)
&& !defined(_WIN32_WCE)

Taking the first one:

* It is part of a conditional that also tests for Q_*OS*_MAC. So it should
probably be Q_*OS*_WIN.
* It guards a include of a file which does not relate to window systems, but
does relate to operating systems. So it should probably be Q_OS_WIN.
* It would surprise me if solid had ifdefs for different window systems,
because of it's scope.

So this one at least should probably be changed to Q_OS_WIN.

Now you also know some of the thought process to deciding so you can help
others too. This is marked as hard on the wiki page, but I don't think it
is. Most of the uses of it are easy to decide. It's only the ones that are
actually rightly (in Qt4) Q_WS_WIN and that need to be ported to QPA (in
Qt5) that are hard.

Thanks,

Steve.