KF5 current status

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Sat Dec 3 20:32:54 UTC 2011

On Saturday 03 December 2011 20:43:46 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Friday 02 December 2011, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I thought it would be useful to have some statement of the status of KF5
> > ahead of the meeting at the weekend. I think I have a pretty good
> > overview of what is happening across the board.
> >
> > == What is happening ==
> >
> > A lot of the progress so far on KF5 has not been in the kdelibs
> > frameworks branch. So far, a lot of progress has been instead been in
> > the area of getting some of the required changes into Qt5 and CMake.
> >
> > David has been working on QStandardPaths, QTemporaryDir and QTemporary
> > file to replace the KDE equivalents.
> >
> > Alex has been working on getting features into CMake to replace automoc
> > and and some other stuff we've used such as
> > macro_optional_find_package, and he's been working on the clean-up and
> > auditing of Find files in
> > extra-cmake- modules.
>
> Yes.
> What's left to do:
>
> * review the Find-modules in kdelibs (over 100), and find out which ones are
> currently needed in the frameworks branch. Here is an overview over the
> current state:
> http://community.kde.org/KDE_Core/Platform_11/Buildsystem/FindFilesSurvey
>
> * develop a future-proof mechanism for providing modules additional to cmake
> in extra-cmake-modules, i.e. so that using projects can decide which
> additional stuff they want to use, use some things maybe only for some
> versions of cmake, etc.
>
> * come to a decision how to deal with pkg-config under Windows (and OSX ?)
>
> * figure out how to define the default library install dir, taking Debian
> multiarch into account
>
> * figure out how to deal with the install dirs in general:
> ** use GNUInstallDirs.cmake coming with cmake ?
> ** keep the support for "if I install to the same prefix as kdelibs (...what
> is kdelibs then ?), I want the same set of install dir",
>
> * improve the example in kdeexamples/buildsystem/HowToInstallALibrary/, so
> it can serve as reference
>
> * somebody has to do the actual porting. Back in the KDE3->KDE4 days Laurent
> Montel did most of this work. Here is a (hopefully) complete list of
> changes: http://techbase.kde.org/Development/ECM_SourceIncompatChanges

Excellent!

If you've seen my previous email a couple of minutes ago you probably noticed
I'm trying to consolidate the information on our progress on the community
wiki... And I admit I'm lacking a lot of vision in the CMake area, that would
be very useful if you could put that information in this page:
http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Epics/CMake

I would advise following a similar organization to this page:
http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Epics/Qt_5.0_Merging

It just makes things much easier later on to get a clear picture on the
progress and where we should put effort.

Obviously it would be ++awesome if there's a slight chance to have that page
ready before tomorrow's IRC meeting (of course if you prefer enjoying your
week-end I totally understand). ;-)

> It would be nice if we could get Windows and OSX developers more actively
> involved with KF5.

Very good point. I think now would be indeed the right time to reach out to
them. Alex, is it something you could tackle? I'd guess they have strong ties
to the buildsystem area.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net