[Kde-finance-apps] Re: Fwd: Season of KDE status check

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Wed May 25 19:31:04 CEST 2011

Hi guys (did not spot any gals yet),

on Wednesday 25 May 2011 Klaas Freitag wrote:

> Am Mittwoch 25 Mai 2011, 07:33:03 schrieb Thomas Baumgart:
> Hi,
>
> thanks, Samir, for sharing :-)
>
> > The use case diagram and the accompanying description look good to me.
> > Could be extended in a second round to cover things like 'sync/load
> > accounts from app on PC' so that you don't have to enter data into the
> > mobile app that is already present on the PC.
> >
> > A few things to keep in mind that ease later integration into any
> > application:
> >
> > - assign a unique ID to each transaction
> >   this allows to transfer transactions from the mobile to the PC more
> > than once. The desktop applications can usually deal with duplicates if
> > they only find an ID.
>
> Thats true. The ID generator has to be in the DBus backend, as various apps
> could generate a transaction and still the ID needs to be unique. However,
> on the mobile device, there is no connection to the service on the bus,
> so the mobile entry can only be unique in the mobile device. So the data
> should contain a "local ID" (assigned in the mobile) and a 'really' global
> unique ID assigned by Alkimia at sync time. That, however, is only true if
> we want continous IDs. If not, we could create real unique ids if we
> combine for example the netcard MAC ID with a timestamp and calc an MD5
> from it. That results in a worldwide unique ID and can be done locally
> easily.

Sorry, but I have to object here. The source of the transaction (in this case
the mobile device) *must* assign the unique ID. See
http://linux.die.net/man/3/libuuid for example. Use existing stuff and don't
reinvent the wheel.

The transaction is generated by the mobile app and later transfered to the
desktop.

> > - data transfer
> >   using a known and already implemented file format would ease
> > implementation work on the desktop side. With the current understanding
> > even QIF could do the job (I know, we all hate it but this time we have
> > the sending side under control ;) ) and the software to create it is
> > lightweighted.  OFX seems to be a bit of overhead since you need external
> > libs (libOFX).  Coming up with YAXF (Yet Another Xfer Format) adds
> > additional work on the application side. Maybe the Skrooge logic to be
> > moved into Alkimia could help here.
>
> Can these file formats also store the status such as "Money expected but
> not yet there" for example which are needed for example for the Kraft
> usecase (You remember: Invoice sent, money expected) ?

Why would I want to trigger such a transaction from a mobile device? It should
be generated by the application that prints the invoice. During the last (or
better first) finance sprint I tried to explain, that this status is handled
by transaction towards a specific account. There is no need for such a flag.

> Sorry if I sound dumb to you, I am absolutely without knowledge in that
> space. Can one of you recommend a resource to learn the basics of
> "transactions" and stuff? Maybe we should set up a glossar to make clear
> what what is, or is that common knowledge?

A glossar is probably not enough - though helpful. And on top, we do have one
on http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KdeFinanceGlossary

We all need some basic understanding of accounting practices.  Maybe an idea
to get together during akademy for it.

Thomas Baumgart

The only 'intuitive' interface is the nipple. After that, it's all learned.
 -- Bruce Ediger, bediger at teal.csn.org, on X interfaces