[Kde-finance-apps] Re: Fwd: Season of KDE status check

Klaas Freitag freitag at kde.org
Wed May 25 17:19:52 CEST 2011

Am Mittwoch 25 Mai 2011, 07:33:03 schrieb Thomas Baumgart:
Hi,

thanks, Samir, for sharing :-)

> The use case diagram and the accompanying description look good to me.
> Could be extended in a second round to cover things like 'sync/load
> accounts from app on PC' so that you don't have to enter data into the
> mobile app that is already present on the PC.
>
> A few things to keep in mind that ease later integration into any
> application:
>
> - assign a unique ID to each transaction
>   this allows to transfer transactions from the mobile to the PC more than
> once. The desktop applications can usually deal with duplicates if they
> only find an ID.
Thats true. The ID generator has to be in the DBus backend, as various apps
could generate a transaction and still the ID needs to be unique. However,
on the mobile device, there is no connection to the service on the bus,
so the mobile entry can only be unique in the mobile device. So the data
should contain a "local ID" (assigned in the mobile) and a 'really' global
unique ID assigned by Alkimia at sync time. That, however, is only true if
we want continous IDs. If not, we could create real unique ids if we
combine for example the netcard MAC ID with a timestamp and calc an MD5
from it. That results in a worldwide unique ID and can be done locally
easily.

> - data transfer
>   using a known and already implemented file format would ease
> implementation work on the desktop side. With the current understanding
> even QIF could do the job (I know, we all hate it but this time we have
> the sending side under control ;) ) and the software to create it is
> lightweighted.  OFX seems to be a bit of overhead since you need external
> libs (libOFX).  Coming up with YAXF (Yet Another Xfer Format) adds
> additional work on the application side. Maybe the Skrooge logic to be
> moved into Alkimia could help here.
Can these file formats also store the status such as "Money expected but
not yet there" for example which are needed for example for the Kraft
usecase (You remember: Invoice sent, money expected) ?

Sorry if I sound dumb to you, I am absolutely without knowledge in that
space. Can one of you recommend a resource to learn the basics of
"transactions" and stuff? Maybe we should set up a glossar to make clear
what what is, or is that common knowledge?

Regards,

Klaas