[Kde-extra-gear] Translations and branches - Summary

Helio Chissini de Castro helio at kde.org
Thu May 5 12:51:33 CEST 2005

On Thursday 05 May 2005 06:47, Mark Kretschmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to summarize our problem with branching again, to clarify the
> situation and prevent misunderstandings.
>
> The problem for amaroK (I think this also applies to other applications in
> extragear), is this:
>
> amaroK development normally happens in HEAD. After releasing a stable
> version (e.g. 1.2.0), we usually do a few point releases from HEAD (1.2.1,
> 1.2.2..), and then we create a branch. amaroK 1.2. now becomes
> amarok_1_2_branch, and HEAD becomes the future 1.3. So far so good.
>
> The problem is that we still create bugfix releases from the 1.2 branch
> from time to time, e.g. 1.2.3. For these point releases we can't use the
> translations from HEAD, since they don't fit anymore (changed strings).
> Currently we must use the translations from an older release, which has the
> disadvantage that the translations cannot receive corrections.
>
> I think the translations must be branched as well, so that the translators
> can work on both HEAD and the older branch. Is this possible, and also
> acceptable for the translators?

Possible ? yes. But i don't like it.
I really would like that keg enforce at least some kde development bylaws no
development, like freeze string change on released apps.
Translators have a heavy work and barely most of then know/or have time to
look the regular one, imagine two, three or more branchs ?

My suggestions is:
If you REALLY want add/change strings on bugfix branchs, always keep HEAD i18n
with all strings. So, doesn't matter wich version of app you take, HEAD fits
all releases having at least all necessaire strings. Conflicts can be solved
with changing base name ( you already is changing strings anyway )
Using this way translators will never become worried with two or three files.

[]'s

--
Helio Chissini de Castro
KDE Developer