[Kde-extra-gear] the stable tag

Jeroen Wijnhout Jeroen.Wijnhout at kdemail.net
Thu Oct 7 09:29:17 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 06 October 2004 19:50, Sebastian Trueg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> so here is my point of view:
>
> If I get this right you want to introduce a tag which points to the stable
> branches of all apps. Basicly a good idea. But doesn't this mean that I
> have to move this tag everytime I backport a bugfix? That would be very
> annoying. And I don't think it's that important. Keg was created as a place
> in the kde cvs where single apps could be maintained which would never be
> released as a whole package. So there should not be a packager who needs to
> get "all the keg packages" but just a certain app.
> K3b for example has one branch for every "major" release like 0.9.x,
> 0.10.x, and 0.11.x. But those are only meant for development, not for
> packagers (although sometimes packagers use them and end up with a version
> string like 0.11.17cvs). Packagers are supposed to use the tarballs which I
> create and not some script on a regular basis. What if I change something
> in the "stable" branch which is not tested properly (yes, I do that ;) and
> the script creates a package. Then a buggy K3b release will appear and I
> get the blame. No, Keg apps should be released like they are now. Every
> maintainer should decide when and what to release.
> Please do not take away the beautiful freedom that is keg. :)

Why this reaction? The proposal was about helping a poor packager, flooded
with work. That's all. I don't understand at all why people are talking about
packaging the whole of KEG and talk about release schedules for KEG, that was
not mentioned in the original proposal at all. It is already possible to
package KEG. Nobody is trying to take away freedom.

Anyway, I sense a great resistance in trying to make live for some packagers
easier, that is just very sad imo.

best,
Jeroen
--