[Kde-extra-gear] the stable tag

Sebastian Trueg trueg at k3b.org
Wed Oct 6 19:50:58 CEST 2004

Hi,

so here is my point of view:

If I get this right you want to introduce a tag which points to the stable
branches of all apps. Basicly a good idea. But doesn't this mean that I have
to move this tag everytime I backport a bugfix? That would be very annoying.
And I don't think it's that important. Keg was created as a place in the kde
cvs where single apps could be maintained which would never be released as a
whole package. So there should not be a packager who needs to get "all the
keg packages" but just a certain app.
K3b for example has one branch for every "major" release like 0.9.x, 0.10.x,
and 0.11.x. But those are only meant for development, not for packagers
(although sometimes packagers use them and end up with a version string like
0.11.17cvs). Packagers are supposed to use the tarballs which I create and
not some script on a regular basis. What if I change something in the
"stable" branch which is not tested properly (yes, I do that ;) and the
script creates a package. Then a buggy K3b release will appear and I get the
blame. No, Keg apps should be released like they are now. Every maintainer
should decide when and what to release.
Please do not take away the beautiful freedom that is keg. :)

Cheers,
Sebastian