[Kde-extra-gear] Re: Hello and let's start to bugging everyone with proposals :-)

Jeroen Wijnhout Jeroen.Wijnhout at kdemail.net
Wed Oct 6 14:23:53 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 06 October 2004 12:27, Lauri Watts wrote:
> Jeroen Wijnhout wrote:
> >>
> >> isn't it most convinient for the packager to just grab the latest
> >> release?
> >
> > Ok, one last try: Helios is _telling_ us that at this moment getting the
> > latest release is not easy to do. You can say: oh, you just have to do
> > this or that. Sure, it is possible, not easy. You can't _just grab_ the
> > latest release, you have to find it first ;-)
>
> As another packager, may I point out that we (FreeBSD) *never* package out
> of CVS, only ever from release tarballs.   I don't believe this is
> especially unusual, from talking to other packagers, it may even be the
> more common case.   We occasionally push forward patches for bugfixes,
> usually if the maintainer points one out that fixes a reported bug, but if
> the bug being fixed is big, should the maintainer not be making a point
> release?
>
> Do as you like with the CVS modules, but please continue to make proper
> tarballs and releases.

Of course we will! The whole discussion is (or should be) about adding a
simple way for packagers to get the latest stable release out of CVS. Just as
a convenience for some packagers. It is not meant as a replacement for
tarball (imagine the extra load on the CVS server with thousands more
checkout per day if end-users would be using CVS instead of tarballs).

best,
Jeroen
--
Kile - KDE Integrated LaTeX Editor