[Kde-extra-gear] Re: Re: Hello and let's start to bugging everyone with proposals :-)

Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò dgp85 at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Oct 6 15:06:06 CEST 2004

Helio Chissini de Castro wrote:
> With this stable branch, i can make regular tarball releases for the
> module, both a keg full module tarball or a independent app tarball.
This is what we *don't* absolutely need. A complete tarball of the full keg
modules will create big problems: I take the gentoo's portage as an example
because is the one I know better, and if we make 'regular' tarballs of keg
and use them to package, we'll have at some point a package with apps older
than the last release, because they were updated after the tarball itself,
and this will conflict with the single-packaged version.
And if we update it everytime an app releases a new version, a lot of
compilation time will be completely trashed because it will recompile
identical version of the same app which wasn't updated since the last
package.

As for indipendent app tarballs.. they should be done by the app's
maintainer, which should decide what should be fixed in the next release
and what need more time to be fixed.

I take k3b as an example: Sebastian did a lot of releases one after another,
fixing from one to three bugs: if they was only in the 'stable branch' the
final users which downloads the sources and use they never knew that the
app had improvements.

> The fact is this make things easier to make a "convenient" keg apps
> release as a visibility idea on the date of oficial KDE release date, even
> if the app is same base code on last three or four KDE releases.
This for me isn't an useful thing, because this can lead to a 'deadline' for
committing the backports on the stable branch.. and this will sync us to
KDE releases.. not a good idea because keg was here also to be in async
with KDE.

Regards,
--
Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò