[Kde-extra-gear] Hello and let's start to bugging everyone with proposals :-)

Christian Hubinger e9806056 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Oct 6 11:26:17 CEST 2004

Hi!

First i'd like to say hello Helio - and thanks to Klaas for the work
he's done for KDE &. KEG

Helio Chissini de Castro wrote:

[snip]

>1 - CRITICAL ONE - About keg modules new layout
>Recent thread suggests a new way to divide keg modules. One of most appreciate
>sugestions is move keg-1,2,3 to keg-multimedia, keg-utilities, etc..
>First valid point of Klas is this will make keg looks like an alternative KDE
>modules, and people start to package this modules and complain about have 5
>image apps, 4 mm players, etc, and break the original idea of keg

No one says that a distribution should package this as on big meta
package - isn't it the meaning of keg that apps a re independent and not
part iof a (nmulti app) package like kdebase is?
I don't  event think that people will consider it as an "alernative KDE
module" - i think the definition of KEG is very clear in that point.

>The point is, i like this idea, and i think is very difficult for catch apps
>searching keg-1,2,3, and with this system a guy that was looking for an
>alternative mm player easily will find it. But Klas have a strong point and i
>think this will looks like a kde module replacement, which leads a confusion
>and is exactly what we don't want.
>Let's just add one more variable on the equations which is if we start to get
>more and more apps on keg ( and that's exactly what we want ), easier we will
>reach keg-1,2,3,4,5,6,7..... imagine the nightmare, for everyone from the guy
>want's to pick up some tool to the maintainer ( actually me ) to find where
>the app is to fix the buildsystem ( or do you expect i have all things on my
>mind :-)
>So, this is time to everyone reflects and let's try to get a consensus, and
>after, if was valid, let's move the decision, or the state of discussion to
>main devel lists.

Well I personally think that a keg-multimedia, -utils etc. layout would
be a good idea for the simply reason that keg-1,2 .. isn't saing
anything about the apps in it.
Splitting that stuff in categories would clear up the point if I (the
user) will find what i'm looking for in the module. To be honest i was
never really happy with the 1,2,3 stuff but as i didn't do any
administartive work i didn't complain about that before.

>2 - Please have mercy of packagers :-)
>Well, everyone knows that proposit of keg is just a place for apps, and apps
>maintainers edcide when release ( or not ) launch their apps, not tied to KDE
>releases at all.
>well, this is good, but this is bad from the point of distributions. Good or
>not, the first point of visibility for all our apps comes with a
>distribution, whatever they are. And people moves more of their attention for
>KDE and their apps ( hint, hint: even keg apps ) on the KDE releases,so, i
>have a simple and usefull proposal:
>
>Create a keg_release_branch !

[snip]

sounds good to me - i'm no CVS guru so no idea if that works with
creating a branche but the idea is good.

greeitngs,
chris