[Kde-extra-gear] Hello and let's start to bugging everyone with proposals :-)

Jeroen Wijnhout Jeroen.Wijnhout at kdemail.net
Wed Oct 6 09:26:38 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 05 October 2004 22:53, Helio Chissini de Castro wrote:
> Hi
>
> After proper Klas introductions, now it's time to put some questions in the
> air to make new decisions.
> Some of this can be related to kde-[core]-devel threads, but let's start
> here in the  list, since all you are the maintainers fo keg apps and of
> course have more decision power in this subjects.
> So, the proposals:
>
> 1 - CRITICAL ONE - About keg modules new layout
> Recent thread suggests a new way to divide keg modules. One of most
> appreciate sugestions is move keg-1,2,3 to keg-multimedia, keg-utilities,
> etc.. First valid point of Klas is this will make keg looks like an
> alternative KDE modules, and people start to package this modules and
> complain about have 5 image apps, 4 mm players, etc, and break the original
> idea of keg
> The point is, i like this idea, and i think is very difficult for catch
> apps searching keg-1,2,3, and with this system a guy that was looking for
> an alternative mm player easily will find it. But Klas have a strong point
> and i think this will looks like a kde module replacement, which leads a
> confusion and is exactly what we don't want.

Reality check: KEG is already confusing many people, packager, end-users and
developers. Rearranging the apps will make the apps easier to find, that's at
least an improvement. Personally I don't think we could create more confusion
about KEG, because the reason is that most people just don't check out
extragear.kde.org to read what KEG is all about, most people just assume
stuff and that never works well.

> 2 - Please have mercy of packagers :-)
> Well, everyone knows that proposit of keg is just a place for apps, and
> apps maintainers edcide when release ( or not ) launch their apps, not tied
> to KDE releases at all.
> well, this is good, but this is bad from the point of distributions. Good
> or not, the first point of visibility for all our apps comes with a
> distribution, whatever they are. And people moves more of their attention
> for KDE and their apps ( hint, hint: even keg apps ) on the KDE
> releases,so, i have a simple and usefull proposal:
>
> Create a keg_release_branch !

With the small amendment proposed by Waldo in mind, I second this. It will be
easier for packagers (or adventurous end users).

> - Have a defined MACRO with the stable version numbering ( hint, hint: not
> all apps have this in a uniform way to reach ) to packagers put the version
> of app in package, and not kde release version

Can you explain this in more detail?

> - Have to add a switch on configure to define --with-app=yes.no with "no"
> by default, making easy just turn on just the apps needed, even for
> newcomers that get this keg module for compile a application ( Is really
> hard for beginners understand the "cvs co -l keg; cvs co keg/app; cd keg;
> cvs co admin; make -f Makefile.cvs, ./configure". you know what i'm talking
> )

This is typically a job for the KEG maintainer ;-)

best,
Jeroen
--
Kile - KDE Integrated LaTeX Editor