[Kde-extra-gear] Fwd: Re: kdeextragear in kde-i18n

Charles de Miramon kde-extra-gear@mail.kde.org
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 15:08:48 +0100

Hello,
I beg to disagree. I think modules in KDE CVS should all follow the same
release cycle :

- Small individual i18n packages are likely not to be packaged. For examp=
le,
in Debian the KOffice i18n files are includes in the large KDE-i18n.
Distributions don't want to multiply ad infinitum the number of binary
packages.

- Different release cycles is error prone for packagers and end-users. If=
 you
read the KOffice mailing list, you'll see that a lot of people tried to
install KOffice 1.2 on KDE 2.2

- Having all .po in one place with one calendar is simpler and also it ma=
ke
 it easier for new translators to understand the system.

- The French translation team tend to work together a lot during the mess=
age
freeze to harmonize the different translations. This tend to work if
everything is freezed not if we are working on moving targets. Quality wi=
ll
only improve if we can planify our work and have a good amount of time to
work on it. For the last Koffice freeze, nobody felt compelled to transla=
te
because nobody thought it was a big deal. Hopefully, one translator did m=
ost
of the work very (too) fast. I think it is better to have our work in a l=
arge
chunk that we can divide between us  and not in small chunks all around t=
he
year.

- If Quanta and KDevelop follow the main KDE release cycle, why KDEextrag=
ear
that contains more mainstream applications like cd-burners should have hi=
own cycle.

Cheers,
Charles
--