[Kde-extra-gear] Re: kdeextragear in kde-i18n

Klas Kalass kde-extra-gear@mail.kde.org
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 10:13:05 +0100

Am Montag, 25. November 2002 10:29 schrieb Thomas Diehl:
> Am Sonntag, 24. November 2002 16:49 schrieb Richard =C4=8Cepas:
> > Carsten Niehaus wrote:

> > > From the these-are-the-facts point of view:
> > > * Pages like http://i18n.kde.org/stats/gui/HEAD/X/index.php (with X =
=3D
> > > abbr. for the languages) don't even list kdeextragear1/2.
> > >
> > > * the different i18n-teams have quite bad stats in kextragear1/2 (i.e.
> > > the german team has only 69,6% done which mean about 800 strings are
> > > missing)
> > >
> > > * At least I heard that kdeextragear is not in the
> > > release-i18n-mechanism
> > >
> > > Thus I think we should not add keextragear1/2 to the official package.
>
> Agreed. It was one of the main points of creating extragear to relieve the
> strain on translation teams before releases. (BTW and for example: We just
> asked the CD Bake Oven author about the best time to update the translati=
on
> of his program and he said we should wait some more weeks.)
>
> > 	While the whole kdeextragear1/2 may have bad statistics for a particul=
ar
> > language, some programs in kdextragear may be fully translated and I
> > think distributions are going to include selected packages from
> > kdextragear.  If kdeextragear1/2 would not be added to kde-i18n package
> > how do people are going to get these translations?
>
> Good question. I always thought there would be individual releases for
> extragear apps and translators would be notified of them. Maybe Klas can
> shed some light on this.
Yes, that is how it is intended. But we do not have released apps yet, AFAI=
K=20
the closest one to beeing released is Gwenview. There is supposed to be a=20
page on extragear.kde.org showing an overview of the status of the differen=
t=20
apps, but since I am short on time and it does not seem to be pressing I di=
d=20
not implement it yet.

As for the translations: The current state is that the packaging script=20
includes translations in the application tarball (currently only specified=
=20
languages). I can also imagine generating extra tarballs for the translatio=
ns=20
(i.e. appname-i18n-lang.tgz). What do other people think about this? Would =
it=20
be better than including all languages in the one tarball?

Greetings,
  Klas