[Kde-extra-gear] KDE-extragear should follow the same release cycle than the other KDE modules

Klas Kalass kde-extra-gear@mail.kde.org
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 17:57:14 +0100

Am Samstag, 23. November 2002 16:01 schrieb Charles de Miramon:
> Hello,
>
> I've been translating cdbakeoven in French for KDE 3.1
> I've found to my great displeasure that after the message freeze and the
> tagging of KDE 3.1, the gui of cdbakeoven has again moved and that one week
> before the release the developper is busy refactoring his application in
> the CVS.
>
> The sorry result will be that the application released will not be
> synchronized with my translation and the gui in French will be partly
> bogus.
>
> KDE extragear is now included in the translation process of KDE and should
> follow the same release cycle. If the developpers want to modify their
> applications during the feature freeze or the message freeze they should do
> it on their hard disk or on a special branch of cvs. If you don't follow a
> strict freeze policy it is impossible to translate correctly your
> applications and test them. We can not also write documentation for a
> shifting target.
>
> I hope this will be corrected for 3.1.1...
Well, the entire idea behind the extra gear was to not be part of the official
KDE releases and thus to not follow the cycles.

On the webpage there is supposed to be status information for all apps that
are in some kind of "cycle" like gwenview
(http://extragear.kde.org/apps/gwenview.php) where interested translators can
see if the app is in a freeze.

I was hoping that the idea of the Extra Gear was communicated to the
translators. Do you have any idea how this can be improved so that not too
many other translators make the mistake to think that the extra gear needs to
be translated in time for a release? I would be very thankful for a
suggestion.

Please note that the applications in the extra gear are independent from each
other and this also applies to the release cycles of those apps. On the other
hand, the great advantage is that in a time when there is usually not much
work to do for the main modules you might find an app in extra gear that is
worth translating.

Greetings,
  Klas