[Kde-extra-gear] Freezes in the Extra Gear?

Klas Kalass kde-extra-gear@mail.kde.org
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 00:55:32 +0200

Hi all!

In the main modules there are the IMHO rather successfull feature and messa=
ge=20
freeze periods that help synchronizing all efforts.=20

Since we would like to encourage other groups to work on the apps in the ex=
tra=20
gear as well (mainly translators and documentation writers) I think those=20
periods would be a great feature to have for each individual app. We could=
=20
outline a template release cycle for one app and provide an overview for th=
e=20
timelines the app maintainers are aiming at (if they want to participate in=
=20
this).

So I have got 2 proposals.

=46irst I wanted to ask what you think about having an "official" release c=
ycle=20
for individual apps.
I thought of a page where every app maintainer could indicate the status of=
=20
his app, make a feature plan and a timeline so everybody interested in the=
=20
app can have a quick overview. Of course that would be voluntary. But I=20
thought about that to give some information to interested translators and=20
documentation writers, so they have i18n freezes for our apps they can coun=
t=20
on.
Good Idea? Useless?

That directly leads to a second thing: A website for the Extra Gear.
That could host descriptions of the apps and links to the respective homepa=
ges=20
(or host those homepages). Most importantly it would contain one or more=20
"status pages" where everyone could have an overview of the stages the apps=
=20
are in. That would allow a translator to judge if it is the right time to=20
start work on the apps.=20
Actually I think about one page with a timeline starting at the current dat=
e,=20
showing all apps and their respective timelines and then a page for each ap=
p=20
where there could be more detailed info.

And a website would be a great place to outline the Extra Gear "Mission=20
Statement" :)
What do you think?

Greetings,
Klas