[Kde-events] [kde-ev-marketing] KDE Handboek

Pradeepto Bhattacharya pradeeptob at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 10:30:13 CET 2009

Hi,

( thanks Jos for pointing the thread to me, I am on the promo and
event lists anyway.  )

Sorry for the delay in replying, I was travelling around the time when
this thread got started. And Real Life kept me busy for even longer. I
saw this thread just now. Actually, I decided to attend a FOSS event
in a neighbouring city yesterday night, and they even accepted my KDE
talk, which I will give in a 30 minutes from now. So I will keep the
mail short now, will come back to it later in the evening.

So, yes the KDE booklet was done by a team of volunteers in India just
before FOSS.IN/2008. We had less than few weeks to put it all
together, including finding a sponsor to get it printed. ( Yes, I
know, I could have asked eV, but getting that kind money here means
somebody would be have to do a lot of TAX math. ) So finding a local
sponsor was the best, and whats better than a old time KDE contributor
coming forward to help us with it.

- yes, some of the material including text and images is dated now. It
was quite recent when it was printed.

- yes, material was "merely" copied from techbase/userbase/pillars
website, and the credits have been given to those.

- we had a very less time window to get it done, and if you have ever
done a 28 page booklet, you will know that it takes time to get
everything done - from conception time to final printing and
transportation ( Ask Adriaan about this ;) . So there was NO time to
contact developers to ask for "most" recent information and then wait
on them for the information then arrange it, then send it to layout
designer and so on. I wanted it done before FOSS.IN/2008, KDE Project
Day.

- I completely agree that including the version release information
and dates was a mistake. But we learn from mistakes.

- I will go back home on Sunday, will contact the printer who did
printing for us. Hopefully he still has the pdf/cdr files. If I get
those, I will upload those and inform the list.

- I have a lot of booklets left, I am passing/sending those around
here in India. I just carried 8 KGs of those to this event ;).
Thankfully, February is a month of events here in India. So I will
make sure the booklets are distributed at most of the events if not
all the events.

- I have spoken to Claudia about this and as she pointed out  ( thanks
Claudia ), we are working on it. I can send 1 or 2 boxes ( each has 50
booklets or so and weighs 2KGs ).

- As Bart suggested, one solution is to get a extra sheet printed with
the release/version info and tuck it along with the booklet.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Pradeepto
--