[Kde-events] [kde-ev-marketing] KDE Handboek

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 11:37:50 CET 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Pradeepto Bhattacharya
<pradeeptob at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ( thanks Jos for pointing the thread to me, I am on the promo and
> event lists anyway.  )
>
> Sorry for the delay in replying, I was travelling around the time when
> this thread got started. And Real Life kept me busy for even longer. I
> saw this thread just now. Actually, I decided to attend a FOSS event
> in a neighbouring city yesterday night, and they even accepted my KDE
> talk, which I will give in a 30 minutes from now. So I will keep the
> mail short now, will come back to it later in the evening.
>
> So, yes the KDE booklet was done by a team of volunteers in India just
> before FOSS.IN/2008. We had less than few weeks to put it all
> together, including finding a sponsor to get it printed. ( Yes, I
> know, I could have asked eV, but getting that kind money here means
> somebody would be have to do a lot of TAX math. ) So finding a local
> sponsor was the best, and whats better than a old time KDE contributor
> coming forward to help us with it.
>
> - yes, some of the material including text and images is dated now. It
> was quite recent when it was printed.

Ha, don't even think our comments come even close to some form of
criticism - these booklets are amazing. They're by far the best we
ever had to hand out to people... Sure we can improve on them, but as
usual with this kind of stuff, getting it together in the first place
is the hardest part - and you guys did that. Super-cool!

Of course I am desperate (ahem :D) to get my hands on any kind of
sources and fix and update stuff. I'd love to set up some kind of
yearly cycle where we update those. Or make them more time-enduring by
removing dates and specific versions and adding a separate leaflet
with the more recent stuff, whatever works best. But again, you should
tell those who worked on it we were genuinely impressed with their
work!

Esp considering the time constraints I just read about - if I just
think about how long it took to write and finish the feature guide it
is clear you guys did an amazing job.