[Kde-events] Merchandising again - The less boring part

Wendy Van Craen wendy.vancraen at gmail.com
Mon May 7 19:46:32 CEST 2007

Hi Niels,

Since I helped in searching new original and fun merchandising stuff
for KDE,  I can answer some of your below questions.  (Though the
more KDE-ish questions I'm gonna leave open for a KDE eV member...)

On 7-mei-07, at 00:14, Niels van Mourik wrote:

> Op dinsdag 24 april 2007, schreef Sebastian Kügler:
>> Hi,
>
> Hey Sebas,
>>
>> I've walked through various emails and extracted a list of merch
>> we could
>> ask to produce, here we go:
>>
>> Textile
>> --------
>> - T-shirts with less boring prints (also in small sizes, and for
>> girls)
>> - baby t-shirts with konqi on it
>> - girl-tops with KDE?
>> - a nice sweater from KDE
>>
>> - stuffed Konqi
>> - very soft Konqis (for babies)
>> - stuffed Konqi bagpack
>> - stuffed Konqi hand doll
>> - stuffed Konqi keyring
>>
>> - cotton bags
>>
>> - the keyring with Konqi
>> - girly t-shirts
>> - KDE scarf
>> - anti-stress Konqi or KDE
>>
>> Household
>> ----------
>> - KDE longdrink glass
>> - Konqi mug with/without relief
>> - Konqi piggy-bank
> Obviously my English is lacking here, but can you explain shortly
> what a
> piggy-bank is?

It's a bowl in which you put your saving money at home, mostly coins.

>> Stickers
>> ---------
>> - large sticker for laptop lids
>> - stickers in various sizes
>> - large Konqi stickers (with relief and/or without?)
>> - "I use KDE" removable sticker for car-window
>>
>> Misc
>> -----
>> - laptop protection sleeve
>> - screen cleaning cloth with logo
>>
>> Crazy Stuff
>> ------------
>> - usb sensor lock with logo (computer automatic locks when your not
>>   near it)
> Would this kind of high-tech (and probably good selling) gadget
> cheap enough
> to take into mass production? Is this kind of device produced
> earlier by the
> merch company you are in contact with?

I proposed some nice gadgets to KDE and took the price in
consideration.  These aren't too expensive to produce (although not
on the sites I visited, so I guess the company that makes these
things for KDE wouldn't ask a too high price).

>> - cool/hot pack (its a gelly substance in a plastick bag with a coin
>>   in it, if you break the coin the substance gets hot, if you boil
>> the
>>   bag all returns to normal and you can start over again - very cheap
>>   and original gadget) -->  "warming up for KDE"
> I've seen such a hotpack on the Hcc Dagen last year, these things
> are very
> good for merchandising purposes, besides the usual stickers and
> pluch stuff.

I have one at home,  it's a nice give-away on important KDE release
days I think.

>> - konqi or KDE-logo tie clips (like the ones with tux)
>>

>> I've structured it a bit. It's quite a lot of good ideas, but we
>> should cut
>> the list down a bit more before we take it to production (after a
>> check
>> from their side what they actually *want* to produce).
>>
>> So please have a look, I might have forgotten something. Some
>> things can be
>> postponed until things are going more smooth in the merchandising
>> part.
> I think this list is as complete as it can gets. Though I'm still a
> bit
> worried about the practical implementation of all the merch. For
> example,
> when taking this stuff in production, are the kde logo's (as they
> are on the
> website) going to be rebranded into Davingo's Oxygen KDE logo or
> are we going
> to continue using the old style K-logo?

I guess KDE is going to take it step-by-step, starting with the
simpeler merch like t-shirts?
But hey, you've gotta start somewhere...

> Are we the ones that design the merchandising, is the company doing
> this job
> for us?

???  I guess we could do that ???