[Kde-events] Merchandising again - The less boring part

Niels van Mourik niels at shodan.nl
Mon May 7 00:14:23 CEST 2007

Op dinsdag 24 april 2007, schreef Sebastian Kügler:
> Hi,

Hey Sebas,

> I've walked through various emails and extracted a list of merch we could
> ask to produce, here we go:
>
> Textile
> --------
> - T-shirts with less boring prints (also in small sizes, and for girls)
> - baby t-shirts with konqi on it
> - girl-tops with KDE?
> - a nice sweater from KDE
>
> - stuffed Konqi
> - very soft Konqis (for babies)
> - stuffed Konqi bagpack
> - stuffed Konqi hand doll
> - stuffed Konqi keyring
>
> - cotton bags
>
> - the keyring with Konqi
> - girly t-shirts
> - KDE scarf
> - anti-stress Konqi or KDE
>
> Household
> ----------
> - KDE longdrink glass
> - Konqi mug with/without relief
> - Konqi piggy-bank
Obviously my English is lacking here, but can you explain shortly what a
piggy-bank is?

> Stickers
> ---------
> - large sticker for laptop lids
> - stickers in various sizes
> - large Konqi stickers (with relief and/or without?)
> - "I use KDE" removable sticker for car-window
>
> Misc
> -----
> - laptop protection sleeve
> - screen cleaning cloth with logo
>
> Crazy Stuff
> ------------
> - usb sensor lock with logo (computer automatic locks when your not
>   near it)
Would this kind of high-tech (and probably good selling) gadget cheap enough
to take into mass production? Is this kind of device produced earlier by the
merch company you are in contact with?

> - cool/hot pack (its a gelly substance in a plastick bag with a coin
>   in it, if you break the coin the substance gets hot, if you boil the
>   bag all returns to normal and you can start over again - very cheap
>   and original gadget) -->  "warming up for KDE"
I've seen such a hotpack on the Hcc Dagen last year, these things are very
good for merchandising purposes, besides the usual stickers and pluch stuff.

> - konqi or KDE-logo tie clips (like the ones with tux)
>

> I've structured it a bit. It's quite a lot of good ideas, but we should cut
> the list down a bit more before we take it to production (after a check
> from their side what they actually *want* to produce).
>
> So please have a look, I might have forgotten something. Some things can be
> postponed until things are going more smooth in the merchandising part.
I think this list is as complete as it can gets. Though I'm still a bit
worried about the practical implementation of all the merch. For example,
when taking this stuff in production, are the kde logo's (as they are on the
website) going to be rebranded into Davingo's Oxygen KDE logo or are we going
to continue using the old style K-logo?

Are we the ones that design the merchandising, is the company doing this job
for us?

> Cheers,

Niels

--
Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the
grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen an angry penguin