[Kde-events] my personal cebit review

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Mar 20 21:29:13 CET 2007

Hi,

here comes my personal Cebit review, I was there from thursday to sunday.
The first two days we were in a tiny booth directly beside the Debian booth.
On saturday we changed with Franz Schmid (the Scribus guy) to a bigger booth
directly beside the Gnome booth. This worked out really well, we didn't have
problems with them, quite the opposite, we had quite some fun and helped each
other where we could. We even gave them some Fedora DVDs so they had at least
anything to give away :-)

What was good:
--------------
-we had lots of CDs/DVDs to give away, mostly kubuntu and SUSE
-our booth was very well staffed, every day at least 4 people
-with Melissa, Tobias and Steven we had three first-time contributors who did
a good job :-)
-every day at least two people from our booth staff were wearing some kind of
suit or at least a jacket (e.g. as opposed to the Gnome or Debian booths,
only T-shirts there). For Cebit this is a good thing.
-we had quite many T-shirts to give away against donations
-we had some K-pins and a few K-bags to give away as donations
-the boothbox which contained:
  -two 19" TFTs, 2 mice and 1 keyboard where there
  -tape, pens, some plastic name tag/business card holders (?)
-we had a nice central flat
-we had these nice KDE display systems, they are really looking good
-we took quite some photos, I'll put them online somewhere

Best of all: the great people manning the KDE booth ! :-)

What can be improved:
---------------------

-T-shirts, pins and bags were sold out on saturday afternoon, so having more
of them would have been even better. But actually this were around 30 T
shirts, I think that's actually already quite much. But more K-pins would
definitely have been good.

-having 3 or 4 clothes-hangers in the boothbox would be good, for putting the
T-shirts on them

-we received KDE business oriented flyers on friday, this was better than none
at all. They should now last for some time. We need more types of flyers
(home users, developers, other contributors).

-the Gnomes have a "what do like about Gnome / what don't you like about
Gnome" wall, where visitors can write on colored sticky notes what they
like/don't like. That's a good idea. Here's a foto:
http://www.neundorf.net/pics/gnome-ideas.jpg

-we had a A3 "poster" inviting people to donate. I'll put this into svn RSN.
Having one in A2, maybe laminated would be even better.

-we didn't have any "real" KDE poster to put on the walls, so we used the
T-shirts as decoration. This worked too.

-we have an example user in svn with some data, but it could use some more
work

What was not so good:
---------------------

-we didn't have generic KDE business cards/nametags. Having a bigger amount of
nameless cards in the boothbox so that the booth people who don't have their
own KDE business cards can write their name on them would be really good and
shouldn't be too expensive either. So we had to "pimp" some of my cards with
white tape to cover my name and write the respective names over it.

So, now we only need a nice dot article about KDE at Cebit and we will have
had a really good event :-)

Bye
Alex

P.S. is this the correct mailing list or should I post it to kde-promo ?