[Kde-events] my personal cebit review

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Mar 20 22:13:00 CET 2007

On Tuesday 20 March 2007 21:29:13 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> here comes my personal Cebit review, I was there from thursday to sunday.
> The first two days we were in a tiny booth directly beside the Debian
> booth. On saturday we changed with Franz Schmid (the Scribus guy) to a
> bigger booth directly beside the Gnome booth. This worked out really well,
> we didn't have problems with them, quite the opposite, we had quite some
> fun and helped each other where we could. We even gave them some Fedora
> DVDs so they had at least anything to give away :-)

Thanks for the review, it's really useful to share this kind of information if
we want to improve future event attendance.

> What was good:
> --------------
> -we had lots of CDs/DVDs to give away, mostly kubuntu and SUSE
> -our booth was very well staffed, every day at least 4 people
> -with Melissa, Tobias and Steven we had three first-time contributors who
> did a good job :-)

Really good to hear there's new people joining the team!

> -every day at least two people from our booth staff were wearing some kind
> of suit or at least a jacket (e.g. as opposed to the Gnome or Debian
> booths, only T-shirts there). For Cebit this is a good thing.

I agree, suits can make a difference, and if someone wears them deliberately,
that's cool =)

> -we had quite many T-shirts to give away against donations
> -we had some K-pins and a few K-bags to give away as donations
> -the boothbox which contained:
>   -two 19" TFTs, 2 mice and 1 keyboard where there
>   -tape, pens, some plastic name tag/business card holders (?)
> -we had a nice central flat
> -we had these nice KDE display systems, they are really looking good
> -we took quite some photos, I'll put them online somewhere
>
> Best of all: the great people manning the KDE booth ! :-)
>

> What can be improved:
> ---------------------
>
> -T-shirts, pins and bags were sold out on saturday afternoon, so having
> more of them would have been even better. But actually this were around 30
> T shirts, I think that's actually already quite much. But more K-pins would
> definitely have been good.
>
> -having 3 or 4 clothes-hangers in the boothbox would be good, for putting
> the T-shirts on them
>
> -we received KDE business oriented flyers on friday, this was better than
> none at all. They should now last for some time. We need more types of
> flyers (home users, developers, other contributors).
>
> -the Gnomes have a "what do like about Gnome / what don't you like about
> Gnome" wall, where visitors can write on colored sticky notes what they
> like/don't like. That's a good idea. Here's a foto:
> http://www.neundorf.net/pics/gnome-ideas.jpg
>
> -we had a A3 "poster" inviting people to donate. I'll put this into svn
> RSN. Having one in A2, maybe laminated would be even better.
>
> -we didn't have any "real" KDE poster to put on the walls, so we used the
> T-shirts as decoration. This worked too.
>
> -we have an example user in svn with some data, but it could use some more
> work
>
> What was not so good:
> ---------------------
>
> -we didn't have generic KDE business cards/nametags. Having a bigger amount
> of nameless cards in the boothbox so that the booth people who don't have
> their own KDE business cards can write their name on them would be really
> good and shouldn't be too expensive either. So we had to "pimp" some of my
> cards with white tape to cover my name and write the respective names over
> it.
>
> So, now we only need a nice dot article about KDE at Cebit and we will have
> had a really good event :-)

I'm glad everything went this well. As I understand, the not-so-good ones are
really minor things. Many thanks for everybody involved!

> P.S. is this the correct mailing list or should I post it to kde-promo ?

This list is fine.
--
sebas

Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious. - Oscar Wilde