[Kde-events] FOSDEM: Who will attend?

David Faure david@mandrakesoft.com
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 12:05:07 +0100

On Tuesday 03 December 2002 10:18, Rob Kaper wrote:
> During the weekend of 8/9 February there will be another FOSDEM (Free and
> Open Software Developer Meeting) in Brussels.
>
> I'm wondering who is going and what arrangements have been made so far.
I'm going :)
Thanks for asking here, I was about to do the same, to know how many
people there will be, and what kind of things we should organize.

> In particular:
>
> - Promo: Is anyone holding a speech, workshop or other promotional tidbit? I
>   heard David will hold a speech, anyone else with plans?
Hmm, I haven't signed up for doing a conference - or if I did, I forgot :)
My idea was rather to hold workshops / developer sessions. This would be
more technical than a real "public" conference, and mostly of interest to KDE
developers (or wannabe KDE developers :).
The subject of those mini-sessions can be anything, in which enough people
are interested. This is why I'm mentionning this from the start, so that
anyone who says he'll come, can also say what he would be interesting
in learning...

I can make presentations on the following themes, please tell me which one
you would find interesting:

Core technologies:
* KParts
* KIO (jobs and slaves)
* DCOP
* Qt Designer
* Qt SQL
* The KOffice libraries
* Writing a KOffice filter

Developping:
* The build system
* Debugging tips
* XEmacs

More specific topics:
* KJS debugging
* KWord design

... I'm also open to any other suggestion for a talk,
and I hope there will also be other people doing talks ;)

Take this opportunity for learning new areas of KDE, which you never dared
to look into :)

> - Accomodations: Group arrangements for accomodations might be cheaper, so
>   it could be wise to plan this ahead for those who are interested in
>   coming.
Indeed.
I'd like to point out that the one who makes a real FOSDEM speech will have his
hotel and travel taken care of by the FOSDEM sponsors :). This brings me to:
is there anyone interested in making a KDE-related speech? It can be on any
part of KDE, IMHO. I don't think it would make much sense for me to re-iterate
the speech I gave, hmm, 2 years ago, about the KDE architecture (libs and stuff)... or?

PS: This list still has the default "Reply-To goes to sender, not to list".
Can I change it to be like in the other KDE mailing-lists?

- --
http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/
Get the latest KOffice - http://download.kde.org/stable/koffice-1.2/