*** GMX Spamverdacht *** Re: Parley: words remain in inital-stage

Anna Vernerová ansa.ansa at gmx.net
Mon Jun 15 07:58:18 UTC 2015

Hi P.,

Parley is currently set to work with as many initial stages (called
"preGrades" in the code) as there are normal levels. Their number is set in
the variable KV_MAX_GRADE which is not part of the parley repository, but
comes with the libkdeedu library - on my system, it is defined in the file

/ </usr/local/include/libkdeedu/keduvoctext.h>
usr/local/include/libkdeedu/keduvoctext.h

What I find particularly useful about the initial stages is that they
increase the total number of levels to 14 (7 initial and 7 normal), AND
allow me to skip directly from level 0 to level 8 (from New word to normal
level 1 or 2, I am not quite sure how exactly it works) by marking my
answer to a "New word" question as correct. I can skip the initial frequent
revisions for words that I currently know but want to make sure that I do
not forget them in the future. I use blocking times from 3,5 minutes to one
week for the initial stages and from 2 weeks to a full year for the normal
level - see below.

Anyway, if you would still prefer to go completely without the initial
stages (for example because it is annoying that there is no visualisation
for your progress across the initial stages), I think you really have to go
back to some previous version of parley. I am not sure about compiling the
old 0.9.4, but I guess it should work. The last commit before the initial
stages were introduced is a33aa6ae8c654d54a74f987741b613c6262da900 , so you
can get the code by issuing the following in the command line:

git clone git://anongit.kde.org/parley
git checkout a33aa6ae8c654d54a74f987741b613c6262da900

Thank you for filing the wish report.

Anša

p.s. Here are my settings for the blocking times:

initial stages (in the file parley/src/collection/entryfilter.cpp):
    0,
    3 * 60 + 30,                // 1: 3.5 minutes
    7 * 60,                     // 2: 7 minutes
    15 * 60,                    // 3: 15 minutes
    16 * 3600,                  // 4: 16 h (next day)
    42 * 3600,                  // 5: almost 2 days (but allow a 6 h
difference in the practice time)
    90 * 3600,                  // 6: almost 4 days (but allow a 6 h
difference in the practice time)
    7 * 24 * 3600,              // 7: a week
normal levels (blocking times set in parley settings):
   2 weeks       level 1
   4 weeks       level 2
   2 months     level 3
   4 months     level 4
   6 months     level 5
   10 months   level 6
   12 months   level 7

This means it takes about three years for a word to get all the way to
level 7, so it provides some extra long term revision.