kartesio

Andreas Cord-Landwehr cordlandwehr at kde.org
Fri May 10 08:54:17 UTC 2013

On Monday 06 May 2013 22:11:06 LucaTringali wrote:
> Hello,after some work I published the first stable release of Kartesio, a
program for calculating best fit curves with experimental
points:https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/edu/kartesioThe program
works well (obiously there are some other features I will introduce in future
releases), and I think it could be moved out from playground, into the stable
kde-edu branch. I'm writing this email for three reasons: the first is that I
don't know how to move Kartesio into the stable branch (maybe it needs your
approval?). The second one is to tell that anyone's contribute in developing
this software will be obiously appreciated. The third is just to let you know
this program: if you work in a lab, you may need to calculate best fit curves,
and Kartesio could interest you. I, for example, study chemistry and I already
used Kartesio for some laboratory reports.I would love to hear your opinions
about it.
> P.S.: If you just want to have an idea, in the git repo there are some
screenshots of kartesio fitting a line and a parabola using a regression
algorithm and a neural network.
> Luca Tringali

Hi Luca, I spotted some problems with the used licenses in Kartesio. In all
the files I looked yet, the GPL 3+ license is used. Yet, the KDE license policy
[1] says that all code must be licensed such that it is compatible to GPL 2+,
Unfortunately this is not the case for GPL 3+.

A possible solution would be to re-license the code to "GPL version 2 or
version 3 or any later version". If you want to re-license the code, AFAIK the
sysadmins would like to archive information about this re-licensing procedure
[2].

Greetings,
Andreas

[1] http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy