Marble : idea for improvements

Adrien adrien.grellier at laposte.net
Sun Nov 11 09:09:29 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am using marble for while now, and I like it a lot, so first thank you very much !

I would like to use marble to plan canoë trips, on french rivers, but currently it is not very convenient. To my point of view marble could be improved on those points :

– a satellite view like google maps, bing or geoportail. I is much better than maps to have an idea of the environnment : trees, curves of the river, dams, fields to carry the canoë, etc. I know these maps are not free, but they brings a lot of information which lacks in openstreetmap for instance.
– a way to defined the « route », along the river. For now I add mesure points. The idea is to defined the start, the end of the trip, and marble automatically draws the route (and indicate the distance), as it does for roads.
– a way to share the trip. I would like to be able to easily share the map with others. Some have marble, other don't. For instance, it could be cool to have a button « send by email » (or IM) to export/import the map, route and comments using marble, or maybe a webservice like openstreetmap.

With these features, marble will be very very good for my usage. I don't know if it's easy to implement, but I am sure those features could also benefit to people who don't do canoë :-)

Again, thank you for marble, it is already a good tool !

Adrien