KTouch

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Sun May 13 18:01:27 UTC 2012

> Sorry Laszlo but you are wrong, kde-runtime is a runtime dependency for all
> kde applications as of now.

Like I wrote: I understand that it is fine for certain group, but not
for everybody. I would like to claim that again I am happy about
Sebastian's work since there is a new and useful frontend coming!
Kudos from here.

I would also like to give some practical examples about that none of
the KDE projects, I have worked on so far, depended on kde-runtime.
Just to give some examples:

1) Gluon Creator (desktop)
2) Gluon Player (desktop, fremantle, harmattan)
3) Gluon Viewer (desktop, kde version)
4) Mula (Desktop, Multiple Language dictionary - playground/edu)
5) Conservatory (now in scratch repository)
6) libqgit back then (no UI frontend, but if I wrote that, Plasma
Components would be a dependency)
7) open al library back then (no UI frontend, but if I wrote that,
Plasma Components would be a dependency)

I also know other applications, like kpaste and so forth. These all
depend on kdelibs maximum, if any. The situation is more intrusive on
mobile with Plasma Components (not on all platforms obviously, like
Plasma Active) since you unnecessarily increase the already huge sizes
while putting to App Stores because of the hard-coded kde ui for KDE4
and so forth. :(

I have been making experiments with the Qt Desktop Components lately,
and as for me, it is a smaller dependency than the kde-runtime stack,
if I do not need that for any reasons. There have been some commits
incoming recently, so I am more than optimist:
https://qt.gitorious.org/qtplayground/qtdesktopcomponents

Luckily enough, frameworks might help a lot with the footprint in
general. At any rate, thank you for your reply.

Best Regards,
Laszlo Papp