KAlgebra/Analitza, improve equations support

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Sun May 6 23:37:09 UTC 2012

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 7:03 PM, Harsh Sharma
<harsh.ksharma1234 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I am a undergraduate student at DA-IICT,India pursuing Btech in
> Information and Communication Technology. I want to become a part of the
> project "KAlgebra/Analitza, improve equations support"
>  I have done 2 courses in Algebraic set theory till yet(one basic and one
> advance)  and i have good confidence in this course. This must surely help
> me in doing this project quite nicely, as mentioned by Aleix also that some
> understanding Algebric Set Theory will be nice.
>
> Actually the main reason for me to join this project is that I am a addicted
> user of KAlgebra and I really want to contribute in a project which is close
> to me.Actually according to me the best part of KAlgebra is the flow of it.
> Any one can use it and I think it is the strength of this tool.
>
> As the project point of view I have already started to play with the code of
> KAlgebra.And as you mentioned that for this project the main task is to do
> more and more unit test I am sure that understanding of code will definitely
> help me to do testing and to improve further the support of equations
> solving in KAlgebra, by making it possible to support more types of
> functions quite easily.
>
> Apart from this due to having interest in designing and programming in
> Android I can also contribute something in the project KAlgebra/Mobile, a
> mobile keyboard "design and implement a keyboard to be able to use it on a
> mobile system such as Plasma Active or Android" side by side of this
> project.
>
> regards
>
> Harsh Sharma

If you like mathematics, you'll probably enjoy better to improve the
equation solving support, i'd say, but that's up to you :).

Regarding Analitza, it's not that much about adding unit tests. What I
meant with this is that the workflow is the following:
- I want to support 2nd degree equation solving
- I add different 2nd degree cases and their solution
- These should fail (otherwise it's already implemented :D)
- Then you code it
- These unit tests should pass

Feel free to contact me if you have any doubt about that. If you want
to figure out what your work would look like you can look into the
Analyzer::findRoots* methods.

Please note that these proposals are just proposals, if you want to do
something different, that would be good as well.

Another interesting project that comes to my mind now is to support
unit conversions somehow integrated with the system.

I'd like to leave it up to you, so that you do what you want to do.

Aleix