KTouch

Peter Hedlund peter at peterandlinda.com
Fri May 4 20:10:31 UTC 2012

Hi Sebastian,

On 05/04/2012 12:54 PM, Sebastian Gottfried wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
>>>    * restricted portability, because keyboard layout detection depends on X
>> I wrote some keyboard layout detection code for WordQuiz (the Qt-only
>> version of KWordQuiz) that works on Mac, Windows and X11. I have
>> considered including it in KDE, but I don't know how feasible that would
>> be. It's available at
>> https://github.com/phedlund/WordQuiz/tree/master/app/src. There is a
>> common header and three different implementation files.
> I would certainly not object to base the keyboard layout detection on your
> code, but there are still still a few problems to sort out:
>
>   * only the Mac backend is able to report the current keyboard layout, all
>    other backends just return a null string.

That's just because I have not had a need for it. Can easily be added.
The X11 code is there but commented out.

>   * it would be necessary that the reported keyboard layout names are
>    consistent over all systems

Might be more difficult. And finding the more friendly display names
requires looking up things in locale databases as far as I understand.

> Right I've have only a Linux development setup, I could also create one under
> Windows, but I definitely don't have access to a Mac, so I would need some
> help to integrate this feature.

I have a Mac although not set up for KDE development. But, yes,
supporting all platforms quickly becomes complicated and difficult to
maintain in the long run. One reason I have not included this in KDE.

Thanks,
Peter