KTouch

Sebastian Gottfried sebastiangottfried at web.de
Fri May 4 20:38:50 UTC 2012

Am Freitag, 4. Mai 2012, 13:10:31 schrieb Peter Hedlund:
Hi Peter,

> >    other backends just return a null string.
>
> That's just because I have not had a need for it. Can easily be added.
> The X11 code is there but commented out.
That would be important, because that's the only feature KTouch needs.

> >   * it would be necessary that the reported keyboard layout names are
> >
> >    consistent over all systems
> Might be more difficult. And finding the more friendly display names
> requires looking up things in locale databases as far as I understand.
The names does't have to pretty, because they aren't used in the UI. The
important thing is, that any given keyboard layout should be reported with the
same name under Linux, Windows and Mac.

Right now the format I use is: <country code>(<variant id>)

So a standard US keyboard gets "us", one with no dead keys "us(nodeadkeys)"
and a Dvorak one "us(dvorak)". This format can be amended to our needs, but it
should be consistent over all supported platforms.

The alternative would be to specify the platform depended keyboard layout
names for each platform separately in the keyboard layout files, but this
would require testing every keyboard layout on every platform.

Best Regards,

Sebastian