KDE Edu BoF

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Wed Jul 11 16:32:40 UTC 2012

> My iOS app is pure Objective C.

That is as good as the QML/Qt way. In the end, the end users do not
care about the technology underneath. :)

> OK, interesting. I might look into it.

Perhaps, you could also use the Android UI, if you prefer that in
comparison with QML/Qt.

> Sure, if KDE is already integrated. Otherwise your second point becomes more
> important and as I said what are the viable, i.e. used, platforms?

As far as I know: Android, Harmattan/MeeGo, Nemo, Plasmas Active,
Raspberry PI, BeagleBoard, PandaBoard (though these are not software
platforms, but hardwares), Playbook, and so forth.

> I am on the waiting list to order a Pi. But I must admit, I plan to use it
> as an HTPC.

I personally gave up that waiting. If you really need that, I would
suggest ordering one directly for 25-25 EUR. Though, that is also a
long queue ahead.

> As far as I understand Harmattan/MeeGo is an abandoned platform.

It is, but still used by many people since it has been the most
shiniest phones out there with Qt on top of that. Also, we have many
KDE Edu applications already ported. See the wiki for that. In
addition, any effort put into such a QML porting can be reusable
elsewhere to a certain extent. Not to mention, Qt5 is mostly desktop,
partially Harmattan and Raspberry PI to me.

Also the MeeGo stack apparently lived further on with the Mer project
which is one of the underlying layers for Nemo, Plasma Active, and
most likely the upcoming Jolla Mobile.

> Sure, there is a certain overlap. But Parley is strictly for advanced
> language learning whereas KWordQuiz is a more general purpose flashcard
> program.

I do not mind having similar applications, but I think you got that. :)

> Do we have any download statistics?

We might have through GHNS and KNewStuff, but I do not have those by
hand unfortunately.

> When was the last time we had a
> contribution?

Just few weeks ago, I had an acquaintance contributing about
astronomical topic, I believe.

> I see that there are some contributions to kde-files.org.
> Mostly for Parley, but probably also usable in KWQ.

That I do not know, unfortunately.

Best Regards,
Laszlo Papp