KDE Edu BoF

Peter Hedlund peter at peterandlinda.com
Wed Jul 11 16:12:12 UTC 2012

On 07/11/2012 08:56 AM, Laszlo Papp wrote:
>> As I mentioned, I am maintaining a compatible version for iOS which as far
>> as I know is the most widespread mobile platform. It is free software with
>> the code available at https://github.com/phedlund/iWordQuiz.
>
> Well, as for using kdelibs, perhaps that is one of the most
> challanging platforms out there :), but great at least you have a Qt
> only version. I presume you have not used Qt solution though natively
> for the UI, something that QML is for. The Qt and more importantly the
> KDE layer have an adventurous way to come on that platform, if any.

My iOS app is pure Objective C.

>> I have been involved in discussions to bring something to Android, but
>> nothing concrete yet. Is a usable Qt available yet?
>
> Sure, it is. The bigger problem as far as I see the KDE layer, but
> doable. Aleix went through those as you may have already read.

OK, interesting. I might look into it.

>> Will Plasma Active run on Android?
>
> Those are two distinct things. =)
>
>> How do you decide which of the myriad of devices and system
>> versions to support?
>
> Well, I decide to spend my time with that platform where kde can be
> the most simply integrated. There are other factors as well though,
> how much it might be used out there and so forth. I am not writing the
> application only for myself after all. :)

Sure, if KDE is already integrated. Otherwise your second point becomes
more important and as I said what are the viable, i.e. used, platforms?

>> Are there other viable mobile platforms worth the effort considering that I
>> have very limited time and other resources available?
>
> You could develop for Harmattan with remote devicess access, if you do
> not have such a phone at hand. Also, perhaps you could purchage a
> cheap raspberry pi. It is cheap to order one. Perhaps even Jolla in
> the future, I do not know that. We will see.

I am on the waiting list to order a Pi. But I must admit, I plan to use
it as an HTPC. As far as I understand Harmattan/MeeGo is an abandoned
platform.

>> Besides, I have never considered (K)WordQuiz to be a program for kids. My
>> target has been middle/high school.
>
> That is what I meant by students. ;)
>
>>   and above as I believe building (typing)
>> your own vocabularies to be an important part of the learning process.
>
> I actually see a bit of overlap with Parley as an outstander.

Sure, there is a certain overlap. But Parley is strictly for advanced
language learning whereas KWordQuiz is a more general purpose flashcard
program.

>> Shared vocabularies have never been a big hit for KDE either further showing
>> (I think) that user needs are very individual.
>
> I would personally disagree. Meanwhile, it is good to have
> customization, the kvtml structure in place is very valuable and the
> words stored in there can be very well used for user needs with
> different visions.

Do we have any download statistics? When was the last time we had a
contribution? I see that there are some contributions to kde-files.org.
Mostly for Parley, but probably also usable in KWQ.

Thanks,
Peter