KDE Edu BoF

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Wed Jul 11 15:56:35 UTC 2012

> As I mentioned, I am maintaining a compatible version for iOS which as far
> as I know is the most widespread mobile platform. It is free software with
> the code available at https://github.com/phedlund/iWordQuiz.

Well, as for using kdelibs, perhaps that is one of the most
challanging platforms out there :), but great at least you have a Qt
only version. I presume you have not used Qt solution though natively
for the UI, something that QML is for. The Qt and more importantly the
KDE layer have an adventurous way to come on that platform, if any.

> I have been involved in discussions to bring something to Android, but
> nothing concrete yet. Is a usable Qt available yet?

Sure, it is. The bigger problem as far as I see the KDE layer, but
doable. Aleix went through those as you may have already read.

> Will Plasma Active run on Android?

Those are two distinct things. =)

> How do you decide which of the myriad of devices and system
> versions to support?

Well, I decide to spend my time with that platform where kde can be
the most simply integrated. There are other factors as well though,
how much it might be used out there and so forth. I am not writing the
application only for myself after all. :)

> Are there other viable mobile platforms worth the effort considering that I
> have very limited time and other resources available?

You could develop for Harmattan with remote devicess access, if you do
not have such a phone at hand. Also, perhaps you could purchage a
cheap raspberry pi. It is cheap to order one. Perhaps even Jolla in
the future, I do not know that. We will see.

> Besides, I have never considered (K)WordQuiz to be a program for kids. My
> target has been middle/high school.

That is what I meant by students. ;)

>  and above as I believe building (typing)
> your own vocabularies to be an important part of the learning process.

I actually see a bit of overlap with Parley as an outstander.

> Shared vocabularies have never been a big hit for KDE either further showing
> (I think) that user needs are very individual.

I would personally disagree. Meanwhile, it is good to have
customization, the kvtml structure in place is very valuable and the
words stored in there can be very well used for user needs with
different visions.

Best Regards,
Laszlo Papp