KDE Edu BoF

Peter Hedlund peter at peterandlinda.com
Wed Jul 11 15:42:12 UTC 2012

On 07/11/2012 02:08 AM, Laszlo Papp wrote:
>> I am still maintaining KWordQuiz. Are there any important outstanding
>> issues?
>
> You could always work on mobile UIs to be appealing for kids and
> students having those devices on the bus, at the school and so forth.

Thank you for your feedback.

As I mentioned, I am maintaining a compatible version for iOS which as
far as I know is the most widespread mobile platform. It is free
software with the code available at https://github.com/phedlund/iWordQuiz.

I have been involved in discussions to bring something to Android, but
nothing concrete yet. Is a usable Qt available yet? Will Plasma Active
run on Android? How do you decide which of the myriad of devices and
system versions to support?

Are there other viable mobile platforms worth the effort considering
that I have very limited time and other resources available?

Besides, I have never considered (K)WordQuiz to be a program for kids.
My target has been middle/high school and above as I believe building
(typing) your own vocabularies to be an important part of the learning
process. Shared vocabularies have never been a big hit for KDE either
further showing (I think) that user needs are very individual.

Thanks,
Peter