FeetWetCoding: Trying to make learning C++ a little more fun!

Tomaz Canabrava tcanabrava at kde.org
Fri Aug 24 11:12:12 UTC 2012

2012/8/23 Robert Holder <robert at feetwetcoding.com>:
> [...]
> internal architecture, Janice will need to be there to answer that.  If it
> is just to help you get started on the exercises, she doesn't need to be
> here, and I can do that, which means pretty much any time convenient to you
> between 7am and 10pm will work.
>

> On 8/23/2012 11:56 AM, Aleix Pol wrote:
>>

>> Hi,
>> I don't know much about QtCreator, but if you were interested in
>> integrating it to KDevelop I might be able to help. :)
>>
>> Cheers!
>> Aleix
>

> We haven't tried KDevelop, but we can look at it, thank you for the offer!
> We are pretty comfortable with Qt Creator at this point, and it comes with
> the Qt SDK.  That is practically a one-click install, which we have
> screenshots of, and yet even then we had people have trouble with it.  I
> will talk to Janice and we will look at KDevelop though.
>

> On 8/23/2012 4:12 PM, Marco Calignano wrote:
>>
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> I was following the convesation and I think that the best move for you is
>> really to open a developer account for you and your wife in KDE.
>> And move your code to the the Kde git server. Maybe first on a scratch
>> project and then maybe in KDE-Edu playgroud.
>> Like that we can easely look at the code, you can get suggestions on how
>> to improve your code and you can get people involved that maybe can spend
>> more time coding that you do.
>> Come and join us I am sure you won't regret it.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Marco
>

> We will definitely have to consider that.  To be honest, we are at the point
> where we had decided to just abandon the project, and I thought, "before I
> just walk away from it completely, I should make a few efforts to try to see
> if there is any interest in it anywhere."
>
> Janice and I will talk more about this, I think really what we need to
> figure out is how much time we are willing to devote to it. Janice is
> pointing out to me that we have not yet established to ourselves whether our
> approach is really helpful and correct for beginning C++ programmers, either
> in it's current form, as a part of KDE, or whatever.  Until we believe it is
> actually helpful, we don't see the point in investing more work in it.  We
> can't know if it is helpful until a beginner or a teacher works the
> exercises, and up to now we haven't been able to make that happen.  We
> honestly don't know if it is actually a good approach, and that is not false
> humility.  It may be the wrong approach, we just don't know.
>
> We can't tell you what it means to us that you guys have responded at all.
> The brick wall we have faced for months trying to talk to people about
> FeetWetCoding has been... well, it was demoralizing enough that we quit
> working on it five months ago!  lol  It has basically been like trying to
> show a dog a card trick:  no response.  :-)  So thank you for your time and

Robert,

I worked for a full semester on Rocs, at university, just to show a
teacher what I could do for Graph-Theory, he tougth it was nice, asked
for some students to try, no one tried, he didn't forced any. I
approached KDE - Edu , talked to Annma, put my program on KDE, in
three months a guy that lives more than 10.000km than me appeared to
help the project ( Wagner ), and we worked as a pair for a while, then
Andreas appeared ( from Germany, I think ), and boosted the program
quite a lot. I mean, I didn't had the visibility for the project
working on my own, but since my program was together with the whole
KDE stack, people tried, used and helped. :)

Tomaz