new Game

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Aug 22 15:41:08 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 9:50 AM, Anne-Marie Mahfouf <
annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr> wrote:

> On Sun August 21 2011 23:23:53 Marco Calignano wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> > I am Marco and I have an idea for a new game. A memory game.
> > This would be a game for the preschool section.
> > I know my sun likes this game a lot and with a touch screen would be
> great.
> >
> > There are couple of identical figures, let's  say 10 different couples
> > in total 20 cards.
> > All the card are on the table covered in a grid 5x4. The Kid has to turn
> > two of them and find the pairs.
> > Of course if he wrong the card go back covered.
> > He has to remember (that's way memory) where the card were and make new
> > couple.
> >
> > I programmed already a little QT application to teach the connection
> > between keyboard and computer also for my kid when he was younger.
> > I would like to program or at least to help to program to the memory
> > game if it will be developed.
> >
> > What are your opinions on that?
> >
> > Bye
> >
> > Marco
> >
> Hi,
>
> Long ago when I was learning some programming I started such a Memory game,
> named Kard.
> However the code is quite old and does not include all the new Qt 4.7
> goodies!
>
> I think that at first we should work on the design to get a UI fit for
> touch
> devices.  Do you have any proposal for it (drawing maybe)? Mainly how to
> change level (increased level is more cards) and how to change cards theme.
> Also what is difficult is what happen when 2 cards are discovered and do
> not
> match: kids usually keep clicking/touching cards. It's now easy to have
> animations so the cards can be turned back but is there a need to give some
> feedback?
> Also how to give feedback at the end of the game.
>
> Coding the app itself will not be so hard as KMemory could be the base or
> Simon's Memory one, especially if we are several people :-) But in my
> opinion
> it will only succeed if the design is already roughly sorted out.
>

> More generally (this question is more for other KDE people) how do we
> develop
> an "active" app and a normal one all in one? was it discussed in the
> Desktop
> Summit? was anyone from KDE Edu at the Intel workshop? If so is there
> someone
> with a tablet who can test Simon's game and KMemory?
>
> Such an app is needed and is great fun for kids as well for aging people to
> help them maintain or recover their memory.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Anne-Marie

Hi,
I think it's a very interesting point.

Before thinking about this, we probably should agree on what is the KDE
application look and feel in the active platform. It's something not
discussed yet _at all_. We don't have centralized KDE components for active
yet, that I know of. That means that we don't have a KDE button or menu.

Right now an Active application means that it can be used with your fingers,
so just use QGV or QML, in a way...

Aleix