[kde-edu]: This KDE Science thing

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Fri Jul 16 15:25:24 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 7:11 AM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Stuart Jarvis <stuart.jarvis at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> (I subscribed so no need to cc me)
>>
>> Some of you may have picked up on the stuff about KDE and Science that
>> Luca and
>> I have been working on (planet, Dot etc) and some of us who are interested
>> in
>> raising the profile of KDE science applications managed to talk to some of
>> you
>> at Akademy. Sorry for not getting around to contacting you as a list
>> before,
>> this has all happened pretty quickly. Anyway, we wanted to send an email
>> try and explain what we're up to and ask for your views, if you're
>> interested.
>>
>> There's one thing that we want to make clear to start with:
>> For what we would like to achieve, we see zero changes required in KDE-Edu
>>
>> Here's the basic issue we're trying to address: there isn't a place to
>> discover KDE apps that are useful in science and are not part of KDE-Edu.
>> There is also no dedicated place to find out who else is working with
>> similar
>> apps to discuss issues. For the science apps in kde-edu it's fine as you
>> have
>> http://edu.kde.org/applications/science (nice, btw). However, there are
>> many
>> other science apps that are not part of KDE-Edu.
>>
>> We held a KDE Science BoF at Akademy and came up with a few short term
>> proposals:
>> - Set up a subforum on forum.kde.org for scientists and science apps
>> (created,
>> not yet publicised)
>> - Set up a mailing list (low traffic, coordination only - chat is for
>> forum).
>> We've since found out that kde-science already exists but is dormant since
>> 2005 so we'll just use that
>> - Have a webpage somewhere that summarises KDE applications of use in
>> science.
>>
>> That last point is probably the biggest overlap with Edu, since it would
>> include also the apps at http://edu.kde.org/applications/science The way
>> that
>> we see it is that the 'KDE Science' page would also list those apps, but
>> have
>> links to further information on the relevant page on kde-edu (i.e.
>> http://edu.kde.org/applications/science/kalzium/). For projects outside
>> KDE-
>> Edu and the SC we'd link to whatever their webpage is.
>>
>> Our consensus seemed to be that the KDE science page would sit best on the
>> main www.kde.org - so it could be a page 'Science' under applications and
>> probably  much like http://www.kde.org/applications/education/ Of course,
>> this
>> needs discussion in various other places (promo and web for example).
>> Another
> [...]

I think this makes a lot of sense too, but like Aleix I wonder what the
purpose is besides highlighting science apps.  Are there a lot of KDE
science apps that are not in kde-edu?  Is the idea to make something like
the Educational plasma project the other guys are doing to help
discoverability of science applications?

Jeremy