[kde-edu]: This KDE Science thing

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Fri Jul 16 15:11:26 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Stuart Jarvis <stuart.jarvis at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> (I subscribed so no need to cc me)
>
> Some of you may have picked up on the stuff about KDE and Science that Luca
> and
> I have been working on (planet, Dot etc) and some of us who are interested
> in
> raising the profile of KDE science applications managed to talk to some of
> you
> at Akademy. Sorry for not getting around to contacting you as a list
> before,
> this has all happened pretty quickly. Anyway, we wanted to send an email to
> try and explain what we're up to and ask for your views, if you're
> interested.
>
> There's one thing that we want to make clear to start with:
> For what we would like to achieve, we see zero changes required in KDE-Edu
>
> Here's the basic issue we're trying to address: there isn't a place to
> discover KDE apps that are useful in science and are not part of KDE-Edu.
> There is also no dedicated place to find out who else is working with
> similar
> apps to discuss issues. For the science apps in kde-edu it's fine as you
> have
> http://edu.kde.org/applications/science (nice, btw). However, there are
> many
> other science apps that are not part of KDE-Edu.
>
> We held a KDE Science BoF at Akademy and came up with a few short term
> proposals:
> - Set up a subforum on forum.kde.org for scientists and science apps
> (created,
> not yet publicised)
> - Set up a mailing list (low traffic, coordination only - chat is for
> forum).
> We've since found out that kde-science already exists but is dormant since
> 2005 so we'll just use that
> - Have a webpage somewhere that summarises KDE applications of use in
> science.
>
> That last point is probably the biggest overlap with Edu, since it would
> include also the apps at http://edu.kde.org/applications/science The way
> that
> we see it is that the 'KDE Science' page would also list those apps, but
> have
> links to further information on the relevant page on kde-edu (i.e.
> http://edu.kde.org/applications/science/kalzium/). For projects outside
> KDE-
> Edu and the SC we'd link to whatever their webpage is.
>
> Our consensus seemed to be that the KDE science page would sit best on the
> main www.kde.org - so it could be a page 'Science' under applications and
> probably  much like http://www.kde.org/applications/education/ Of course,
> this
> needs discussion in various other places (promo and web for example).
> Another
> possibility it to use Userbase, but this would be less visible to someone
> [...]

Hi,
I think that it makes sense to have some targeting to science people but I
still don't really understand what do you want to make. Is it just to create
a website and mailinglist. If it is like that I think that shouldn't be much
problem but I'd still prefer to see KDE Science as a KDE Edu branch.
We are already targeting that science/university world and we don't want to
create confusion but we can probably find a common place together.

Aleix