[kde-edu]: This KDE Science thing

Stuart Jarvis stuart.jarvis at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 13:22:44 CEST 2010

Hi everyone,

(I subscribed so no need to cc me)

Some of you may have picked up on the stuff about KDE and Science that Luca and
I have been working on (planet, Dot etc) and some of us who are interested in
raising the profile of KDE science applications managed to talk to some of you
at Akademy. Sorry for not getting around to contacting you as a list before,
this has all happened pretty quickly. Anyway, we wanted to send an email to
try and explain what we're up to and ask for your views, if you're interested.

There's one thing that we want to make clear to start with:
For what we would like to achieve, we see zero changes required in KDE-Edu

Here's the basic issue we're trying to address: there isn't a place to
discover KDE apps that are useful in science and are not part of KDE-Edu.
There is also no dedicated place to find out who else is working with similar
apps to discuss issues. For the science apps in kde-edu it's fine as you have
http://edu.kde.org/applications/science (nice, btw). However, there are many
other science apps that are not part of KDE-Edu.

We held a KDE Science BoF at Akademy and came up with a few short term
proposals:
- Set up a subforum on forum.kde.org for scientists and science apps (created,
not yet publicised)
- Set up a mailing list (low traffic, coordination only - chat is for forum).
We've since found out that kde-science already exists but is dormant since
2005 so we'll just use that
- Have a webpage somewhere that summarises KDE applications of use in science.

That last point is probably the biggest overlap with Edu, since it would
include also the apps at http://edu.kde.org/applications/science The way that
we see it is that the 'KDE Science' page would also list those apps, but have
links to further information on the relevant page on kde-edu (i.e.
http://edu.kde.org/applications/science/kalzium/). For projects outside KDE-
Edu and the SC we'd link to whatever their webpage is.

Our consensus seemed to be that the KDE science page would sit best on the
main www.kde.org - so it could be a page 'Science' under applications and
probably  much like http://www.kde.org/applications/education/ Of course, this
needs discussion in various other places (promo and web for example). Another
possibility it to use Userbase, but this would be less visible to someone
stumbling across the KDE website and trying to see what we have (though
userbase would be a great home for additional info)

Any input on the above would be welcome :-)

We'll be discussing things on kde-science at kde.org mostly, so please sign up if
you'd be interested. We'll be sure to discuss anything that could affect Edu
here too.

One final question -  a few people have floated the idea of having a separate
science module, though not - I think - KDE-Edu people. This is not something
that's on our agenda. Actually, it seems like a bad idea - KDE Edu works well
as it is - but we're not well placed to make that judgement and it definitely
isn't our decision ;-) But if any of you were thinking of doing something like
that it would be good to know as that could have some impact on KDE Science
plans.

Please feel free to mail us with any questions: on this list, kde-science or
privately. I (Stu) am also on IRC in #kde, #kde-promo and #kde-forum as
jakamoko while Luca is einar77

Cheers,
Luca and Stu