[kde-edu]: plasma edu

Nuno Pinheiro nuno at oxygen-icons.org
Thu Jul 15 13:24:22 CEST 2010

A Quinta, 15 de Julho de 2010 11:24:29 Agustín Benito Bethencourt (Toscalix)
você escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> from my point of view, before beginning the actual work, we should define
> very well the target. Dependng on the countries, education is divided into
> different levels, but we can separate them in 4 different levels (as Linex
> did back in 2006):
> a.- No readers (do not know how to read)
> b.- Neo-readers (in the process of learning how to read)
> c.- readers (they read but their comprehensive level is not mature)
> d.- "Adults" they read and has normal comprehensive level

All my experience in this area was in the first to fourth grade students,
Portugal deployment is in this area. Think Brazil is also in this area...

I have conducted informal interviews with students and teachers that use the
current desktops, and I have a good idea of what we can do far better
specially if the computers are supposed to fulfil their propose that is AFIK
to be used in the classroom to help in the teaching process, (this was the
biggest fail of the project so far here in Portugal)

There are programs here in Portugal for other groups but, they require no
specific deployment so far (not saying its not an interesting market were we
can't do it better)

> From the layout point of view this four groups are different.
>
> There are several point to have in consideration to choose the target.
>
> a.- What do kde-edu people prefer to go for in first place (and planma
> devs) b.- Where the demand comes from. Maybe we can ask deployers about
> which want should be done first.
> c.- Maybe I can ask Linex (probably SkoleLinux people also can do this)
> about the ffedback they've got from their experiences with these layouts
> done with gnome thay have.
> d.- What apps do we want to promote, I mean, for whom are edu apps
> designed.

------
oxygen guy, "I make the pretty pictures"