[kde-edu]: plasma edu

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Thu Jul 15 14:16:12 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 8:24 AM, Nuno Pinheiro <nuno at oxygen-icons.org> wrote:
> A Quinta, 15 de Julho de 2010 11:24:29 Agustín Benito Bethencourt (Toscalix)
> você escreveu:
>> Hi,
>> from my point of view, before beginning the actual work, we should define
>> very well the target. Dependng on the countries, education is divided into
>> different levels, but we can separate them in 4 different levels (as Linex
>> did back in 2006):
>> a.- No readers (do not know how to read)
>> b.- Neo-readers (in the process of learning how to read)
>> c.- readers (they read but their comprehensive level is not mature)
>> d.- "Adults" they read and has normal comprehensive level
>
> All my experience in this area was in the first to fourth grade students,
> Portugal deployment is in this area. Think Brazil is also in this area...

I think this is a very good point when we think about the planning of
the shared activities desktop and development of new plasmoids/edu
apps. I already asked around to see how/if/when we can get access to a
group of teachers down here in Brazil that are already using Linux and
the existing KDE Edu apps. They will be certainly able to provide us
with good feedback and real-world scenarios.

But notice that nowadays most deployments are still in the "replace
proprietary OS with minimal disruption" stage. Our plan is good
because it takes care of these needs first, establishes a foothold
into the community and can give us leverage to implement more
ambitious goals in the near future.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini