[kde-edu]: Step without kdelibs?

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr
Thu Feb 11 16:17:35 CET 2010

On Thursday 11 February 2010 14:56:12 v_2e at ukr.net wrote:
>   Hello!
>   I've learnt recently about "Step" existence. And now I have such a
> question: is it possible to use Step without KDE installed?
>   The problem is that I am not a KDE user (since the time KDE3 was
> excluded from GGL's Portage tree) and I do not want any additional
> libraries installed on my system, but I do want to use some programs
> from KDE-Edu project. I use Marble for some time already (I even try
> to write some plugins to Marble) and now I would like to start using
> (and developing) Step, but I'm not sure if I can do that without
> installing KDE libraries. Please, tell me if there is such a
> possibility.
>
>   Thanks in advance.
>   Vladimir.
>
> -----
>  <v_2e at ukr.net>

Hi,

Step is in KDE-Edu since KDE 4.1. If you're using Marble already, chances are
that you have the kdelibs for it (except if you use the Qt-only version).
You cannot run Step without the kdelibs nor can you run any KDE-Edu program
without kdelibs. KDE software by definition is software builds with kdelibs.

Not sure why you do not want the kde libraries on your system: space? other
reason? If you want to use/develop any KDE program you need those libs. If you
don't want kdelibs, you don't want any KDE and KDE-Edu programs.

You can perfectly run/develop Step without runnning KDE workspace itself
though. The Plasma Desktop is not needed, you can run Step on GNOME or other
desktop. What you need are Step dependencies and kdelibs is one of them. But
kdelibs is not the desktop, Plasma is the desktop. You seem to mix those and I
hope this clarifies it.

Anne-Marie