[kde-edu]: Strange request for information...

Jason Winters jason at txt.com
Fri Oct 23 18:33:16 CEST 2009

Greetings Torsten,

Torsten Rahn wrote:
> Your request isn't as strange as you might think ;)
> In fact using Marble as a panorama viewer is something that I'd like to have
> implemented properly at some point.

Sounds good! :}

> Am Mittwoch 21 Oktober 2009 14:00:56 schrieb Jason Winters:
>
>>   What I would like to do is create an "art" project that uses panoramas
>> and time...  You can pan around the picture, and
>> then "zoom" through time.  The idea was to use the zoom features of
>> something like Marble and supply my own layers
>> of different "resolution", with different images (taken at different
>> times) that would reveal when the user zoomed in.
>>

> Have a look at
>
> http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3269

I looked through there, and gave some of it a try.  Aside from the small
problem of creating
the maps (easy enough to make a utility to do that), the maps are all 8
bit, i.e, grayscale.  This
is not what I had in mind... :}   It did look like the generic concept
will work, if it's possible
to change that...

  It looks like you have a grayscale map, and then use tiles of a
particular type to fill in the color
and details.  While this is fine for a map, using it as an image doesn't
work...   because the color
is in the image, not tiles. :}

  How hard do you think it would be to increase the data from 8 to 24
(or even 30) bit?  So I can
use a full color image (and of course, use full saturation)?

Thanks!

Jason