[kde-edu]: Thoughts on KDE-Educationals in general

Ben Crawford crawford_ben at yahoo.ca
Sun Oct 4 01:11:29 CEST 2009

As a secondary teacher and an avid IT user/tester I have a few thoughts on this.

Using suse studio to create a different distro:
While this sounds great and could be successful, I would worry about support if people were to encounter difficulties.  Imagine if you will a new user trying this distro out and it not working right away.  Where would they go for assistance?  Most likely their searches are going to lead to places where they find themselves unsure about things.  In my opinion it would be a better use of our efforts to offer our support to existing distributions and encourage kde-edu that way.

Having said that, I realize that edubuntu is no longer packaged as a single iso, but rather as an addon to ubuntu making it much harder to test out using a live CD/DVD (or even live usb stick).  Perhaps our efforts here could be best utilized in supporting a few distributions and making a live version with the kde-edu packages included available using rBulder (or a similar tool).

KDE on Windows:
I have tested this numerous times and this project has come along way and I would like to see it continue to develop.  However, I have been reluctant to inform them of some of the fantastic programs available in kde-edu because it is more than they can handle.  It isn't easy for them to get up and running even with KDE on Windows.  If we were to bundle individual kde-edu programs as standalone executables on Windows I think we could/would have better results and could grow the user base.  If you are skeptical about this I would suggest you look at a great program that does this fairly well, the GIMP.  I have many colleagues who do use this because of the ease with which they can install and run it.

Virtualization:
Having only recently suggested this to colleagues I am finding that they are able to adapt quickly using this strategy.  Running VirtualBox they are able to run all the kde-edu programs they want and about the only extra concepts they need to remember is to use the host key for various functions and that stuff inside the virtual machine is generally not accessible outside the virtual machine.

I would like to add my sincere appreciation and gratitude to all of those who continue to work on kde-edu and open source.  As a teacher I have had many occasions in which these programs have assisted a great deal in my teaching.  Keep up the excellent work!

Ben