[kde-edu]: Sonic Sensors: Musical Middleware for step, dbus, lm-sensors ...

RalfGesellensetter rgx at gmx.de
Thu Oct 1 15:24:00 CEST 2009

Dear KDE-Edu enthusiasts,

my subject is only partially educational -- but I believe that this list
might have the right people being addressed.

Colleagues teaching arts and music could be convinced by the power and
flexibility of free software (and esp. KDE) if we could provide an
interactive sound installation, processing levels of input sensors
(sensors like cpu temperature put in front of the PC) into hearable
sound experience.

To make it the most general approach, I wondered if dbus as omni-
functional platform could be used for middleware that provides the state
of any kind of sensors and makes it usable out from any KDE/freedesktop
application (like Step).

Apart from dedicated sensor hardware (that could be attached to printer
port or USB), mouse movement could also be mapped (on the lowest level:
rather movement than coordinates), then we could integrate an optical
mouse in the pc case so that its laser light can be reflected by your
bare palm....

I am looking forward for any kind of association.
Most appreciated are hints and pointers to similar projects or more
apropriate forums than this one.

Kindest regards
Yours, Ralf

P.S.: @Those reading German: I started this wiki page some months ago: