[kde-edu]: Use of Wiktionary - Pronunciations

Sabine Emmy Eller s.eller at voxhumanitatis.org
Thu Nov 26 21:48:37 CET 2009

As for the use of Wiktionary there is not much one can do. Of course some
people extract terminology, but this then always needs manual checking and
refining which often takes more than taking the wordlist in one language and
simply adding the translation from a dictionary.

One thing I often use to verify terms I find around is taking the entries on
any wiktionary like these:
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:Karelian_language

And compare them to the list we already have.

But: it is all and always manual work.

Frequency wordlists:
http://wortschatz.uni-leipzig.de/html/wliste.html

There is quite a lot of stuff around, but all needs refining in order to be
used with Parley, KHangMan, Kanagram etc.

As to pronunciations I would like to repeat the link I passed on IRC - so at
least we will find it again in the mail:
http://shtooka.net

I don't know at which stage the linux port is - will try to ask zMoo in
#shtooka - for now: you need to use shtooka recorder con wine if you wish to
add further pronunciations. It is really easy - I have a group of soundfiles
my daughter recorded with it some months ago and she is 7and a half year
old.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Sabine